Welcome to the Fall 2015 Scratch Challenge for Baden Academy, “The Orbits of Roald Dahl’s Moons.”
This is a scene from Roald Dahl’s book, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. Willie Wonka and Charlie Bucket need your help. The moon is out of phase. Can you fix it?
If you are brand new to programming and using Scratch, there are some easy ways to earn points.
1 pt Clean up the drawing of Charlie and Mr. Wonka, the moons above or the moons below
1 pt Add another moon or planet
Are you looking for more of a challenge?
4 pts. Read the book and add an element from the book to the animation.
4 pts Is there a way to make the story telling a game element that the person watching the animation can take part in?
4 pts Add your own recording of some of the music from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (what a great way to audition!). Don’t forget to program it to play!
Are you ready to really get down to business?
20 pts The challenge of this game is to correctly animate the orbiting moon to demonstrate the eight phases of the moon
1. Log into Scratch.mit.edu with your unique User Name and Password (if you have forgotten or don’t have a username and password, click Join Scratch). If you want us to remember your user name and password, email it to email@example.com.
2. Once you are logged in, type into the url bar the project address or press the link below https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/79638466/
3. Look in the lower right hand corner and click “Remix”
3. Name your Project with your name and grade (for example Owen 6 Remix of Rould Dahl’s Moons)
5. Get to work! (Remember, save early and save often)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hKu5XJ2vCo (How to sign in, make minor edits, and enter your remix!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJoLzphkMo (Do some storytelling or game making!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhKFkUnHhbI&feature=youtu.be (Can you program the 8 phases of the moon)
6. Share your project (be sure to press the share button!!).
7. The Orbits of Rould Dahl’s Moons Challenge Points
Create or edit a spite 1
Create Background 1
Add a story telling component to the animation 4
Add a game element to the animation 4
Program the 8 phases of the moon 15
Maximum points 20